***This blog has moved to My Convertible Life.***

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Why I'm Not Good at Online Dating

The fact that I tried on four different outfits -- even though I was running late and my children were running wild -- suggested I was heading out on a blind date.

In truth, it was something much more frightening. An almost-blind dinner date with eight other women. And not just any women -- blogging women. I felt like an impostor, someone who got invited to a secret meeting by accident. Although I was with a friend and had met two of the other bloggers before, the rest were all new to me.

As I got ready, I fretted about looking too mom-ish, looking like I tried too hard, like I didn't try hard enough. What if they write about me afterward on their blogs? Or what if they don't write about me at all? What if they realize that I'm just over here blabbing random things about whatever is on my mind with no ads or marketing or serious focus? What if I get food stuck in my teeth and then smile all through the meal and no one tells me?

Or what if I just take a deep breath and realize that they're all lovely and interesting people who happen to be moms (like me) who enjoy writing (like me).

Breathe in... Breathe out... In... Out...

And so of course, it was all fine. I enjoyed meeting the other ladies, sharing stories, finding small world connections. I think it's something we'll do again -- and thankfully I won't stress out so much next time. Although I am worried that I've violated some sort of blogging code by being the only one from the dinner to write about it. Was there some sort of what-happens-at-blogger-dinner-stays-at-blogger-dinner pledge that no one told me about?

Ugh. Dating is hard.

4 comments:

  1. No violation for sure. There's been plenty of clamor on Twitter about it - and I've just been lazy.

    It was a good time, wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so cute! Definitely no code --- just been busy :). I loved your post and we will definitely have to do dinner again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I was a violator for NOT posting about it!! Love your post-- it was so much fun hanging out... can't wait to do it again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun! I'm so glad you guys are having a great time together -- I know that I've met some of my greatest blogging friends at get-togethers in our area!

    ReplyDelete

But enough about me, let's talk about you...
What do you think about me?