***This blog has moved to My Convertible Life.***

Friday, November 13, 2009

Friday's Five: Pippi's Reading List

I've written a lot about favorite books to read with Junius, but haven't written much about what Pippi likes to read. That's partly because she doesn't sit still for books the way he always has, which is probably (partly) because she's been so much easier to put to bed than he ever was.

So, in my continuing effort not to leave out the Pip, here are five of her favorite books these days -- as she gets older, she's finally starting to request certain stories when we sit in her rocking chair before bedtime, which makes me really happy:
  1. The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle: A classic and lovely book -- I'm assuming you've all read it. I think she mostly likes turning the little pages and sticking her finger in the little caterpillar hole-punches.

  2. Ten Wishing Stars by Treesha Runnells and Sarah Dillard: This counting book about sheep wishing on stars at night has ten raised stars with star-shaped cutouts -- and the stars glow in the dark. Again, I think her favorite part is touching the stars.

  3. Baby Faces by Margaret Miller: We like to pretend she can read this one because she's memorized each baby's expression, saying "stinky" and "boo-hoo" and so on. It's way cute.

  4. Corduroy by Don Freeman: Another classic and sweet story. It's probably the longest book she'll sit still-ish for.

  5. Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr, John Archambault and Lois Ehlert: This alphabet story involves letters racing up and then crashing down from a coconut tree. I don't know why, but "chicka chicka boom boom" is just plain fun to say.

3 comments:

  1. Linus loves Chicka Chicka Boom Boom although it's not great for bedtime as he loves to get load and stomp out the boom-booms.

    Currently, our rereads are Thanksgiving books.
    Turk & Runt
    Over the River: A Turkey's Tale
    Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving

    -Abby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is a hit here too (though it makes me want to hit my head against the wall - ours came with a rattle that you can shake while reading it). The Hungry Caterpillar is another big hit. Goodnight Moon too. Any book with lots of animal pictures is a hit as well. She points I tell her and she tries to say it or make the animal's sound. Books are very beloved in these parts :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Corduroy, but I can't get through reading it without crying.

    I'm such a sap.

    ReplyDelete

But enough about me, let's talk about you...
What do you think about me?