***This blog has moved to My Convertible Life.***

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The School Board Is Not Listening

Here's today's post from My Convertible Life... click on over to get all the links. And don't forget to sign up over there so you can keep on reading...

I spend a lot of time venting to my husband (bless him for listening) about articles in the newspaper, particularly those related to our public schools. Occasionally, I also vent to all of you. But here's the excerpt from this article published yesterday that finally got me to send a letter to the editor last night:

Kathleen Brennan, a Cary parent, said that while some parents won't get what they want, at least they're being heard now. Brennan is a co-founder of Wake CARES, a parent group that sued Wake over mandatory year-round schools.

After the N.C. Supreme Court ruled last year that Wake didn't need parental permission to send students to year-round schools, Wake CARES worked with other groups, such as the Wake County Republican Party, to elect new school board members.

"Parents are speaking out that they're dissatisfied, and the school board has given them a voice," Brennan said.

The good news for those of you tired of listening to my long-winded rants is that the word limit for letters to the editor is 200 words. So I'll refrain from lounging around on my blog soapbox and just give you the letter I sent to The News & Observer last night:

Kathleen Brennan (Wake CARES) says that while some parents won't get what they want in school options, the school board is listening and giving them a voice.

It's ironic she believed the former board didn't hear parents because board members didn't vote to end assignments to year-round schools. Now that the board majority is on her “side,” she assumes they are listening to all parents.

Yet the board is NOT listening to me, the parent of a rising kindergartner. The parent survey regarding year-round schools won't come to me, although my base school is year-round. The survey also won't come to my neighbors because they aren't parents, even though their tax dollars support and build schools in Wake County.

The board majority acts as if they are accountable only to those who voted for them – less than 4 percent of the county's eligible voters. I hope these board members will listen to all the voices in Wake County, not only those who agree with them. If they don't, they will renege on campaign promises of being responsive to parents – and they will do great harm to our schools and community in the process.

* * *
If you are also frustrated by the recent actions of the Wake County Board of Education, I urge you to write to the board and send letters to the editor -- don't just sit around and complain to your spouse. If the school board only hears from the people who are pleased, they'll assume that everyone is equally happy with their actions.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, great letter! I'm impressed that you wrote AND sent it!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that you are becoming involved and recommending that others do the same. I believe there is an opportunity for citizens without students in the system to complete the survey. The variety of offerings available through the WCPSS was a lot of what made the system so appealing in the past. I hope you get the calendar you feel is best for your situation. Regarding the financial aspects, the newly converted schools have cost the system more, are under-enrolled and have more overcrowding on the most popular tracks thereby potentially harming education as well. i Will continue to advocate for choice and responsiveness for all families as I always have and will be glad to discuss this with anyone.

    ReplyDelete

But enough about me, let's talk about you...
What do you think about me?