***This blog has moved to My Convertible Life.***

Sunday, October 18, 2009

When Junius Grows Up...

One of my favorite books to read with Junius is I Want to Go to UNC by Ripley Rand and Jorin Garguilo. Although I didn't grow up wanting to go to Carolina (in fact, it was my last choice -- but that's another story), it's never too early to get Juni on board with the Heels -- particularly given his track record of supporting, ahem, other ACC schools. I like the book because it introduces him to important places in Chapel Hill; he likes it because it rhymes, has fun illustrations and references lots of career and college options.

Tonight while we were reading, he kept pausing on each page (a ploy, no doubt, to put off the inevitable and impending bedtime) to discuss what he might want to be when he grows up. It was the first time I'd heard him discuss what's on his list, so I was curious to know what he was thinking about. Keep in mind that the options were inspired by the careers in the story, but I just wanted to take a moment to capture them now in case he actually becomes one of them later on:
  • jet pilot
  • dentist
  • pediatric nurse
  • car mechanic
  • tuba player ("For when I'm bery, bery growed up, Mommy.")
I think it's a great list -- surprisingly technical and medical, two areas in which I was never interested. My guess is he's probably thinking more about having cool tools than about solid career paths. Can't fault the kid for liking the accessories

1 comment:

  1. I have "awarded" you - go to my blog and find out more.

    I'm just happy he didn't mention anything about textiles! Even children know that's a bad choice these days ;o) Of course that would be in the "I Want To Go to NC State" book.

    ReplyDelete

But enough about me, let's talk about you...
What do you think about me?