***This blog has moved to My Convertible Life.***

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Becoming Grandparents

One of the many interesting things about becoming a parent has been watching my parents become grandparents. The transition appears to have been a fun one for them, but it's a joy for me, too.

Last weekend was our first beach trip with Nanna and PopPop since Pippi was born, which made it all the more wonderful to be there with them. I'd forgotten how exhausting it is to be at the beach with a sand-eating, shell-tasting, seaweed-sampling toddler who likes to wake up before sunrise (literally).

Even though it was supposed to be my parents' vacation, they happily took my two little crazies on bike rides around the island and walks on the beach, built sand-roads and sand-hockey arenas (no castles for Junius this year), shared watermelon and cooked meals. They snuggled and wrestled and raced and practiced yoga together. It must have been the most exhausting three days of vacation my parents ever had.

But no matter how much we must have worn them out, they were really enjoying their role as grandparents and beach playmates. When we left on Tuesday so that they could have the last part of the week to themselves, I actually believed my parents when they said they'd miss us.

Still, I think they'll somehow find a way -- between watching peacefully from their deck as the sun rises and sets over the sound -- to get by without us.

3 comments:

  1. I love watching my mom with my kids. I wish my dad was still alive to play, but my mom works hard to play for him, too. Lovely, your kiddos are lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you all had a wonderful time. We have been at the beach too with my family -- Topsail Island, NC. We've had 6 adults and 2 puppies ... no grandkids yet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, the post came under my Dad's google account, sorry! It was really me, Kristy!

    ReplyDelete

But enough about me, let's talk about you...
What do you think about me?